Aug 15, 2012

Next In Show Presents Dave Raps [INTERVIEW]


Young, fresh, and fly, currently residing in New York is Dave Raps. Last year I discovered his most official project Aka Dave Ruffin, which included original classics like Ruffin, Campfire of 88' and G.R.I.N.D. The whole album was produced by young creative Vee. Next In Show got the opportunity to interview Dave Raps and he had a lot to say about everything. Read below.



Dave Raps x Next In Show

You grew up in Yonkers, New York, home to some of the original ryhmers in the game. What types of things did you do to express yourself growing up?

All I every did was play ball all day and chill with my homies...music was always something that I loved but never thought to try and rap...one day it clicked and it all happened...i been makin progress every since

Was music always a key factor in your life?

Music has always been huge in my life...before I made it myself I was a huge fan...I use to memorize hov lines and recite them all day..even if I fucked up some lines...haha

What music currently fills your iPod?

I listen to a little of everything...I got some Ye, Jay, Sade, Aerosmith.all of that...I take music as an art....never paid attention to the particular genre

Your debut album AKA DAVE RUFFIN is out now and overall is an amazing body of work. What does the cover art signify?

The Cover art symbolizes my drive...the chick is holdin up the highlife sign to my head...that just shows I'm ready to die for this....I put so much into the project and niggas still need to hear it

What were studio sessions like creating this project?

I started recording the project in the Chi and that set up everything for the rest of the way....the energy in the city was heavy!....i had 2 other sessions  in Miami..and Atlanta and I just had the spirit of a young Sidney Portier...I handled business...I wrapped up everything here in ny...in soho....and ny always has positive vibes cuz it knows when it's prince is home..haha

When searching for producers and instrumentals, What is the discovery process like?
  
We got a great thing going over here...Vee is the in house producer and he produced every track on aka Dave Ruffin
  
You have sort of a classic 90's vibe to you. Who if anyone dead or alive in the game, do you identify with the most?

ive always been a fan of slick rick....any nigga that could tell a story and keep it so cool has got to be brought up
  
Where does your fashion sense come from?

I mean I see things that i like here and there, but overall I dont get my fashion sense from anywhere...whatever I want to put on and however Im feeling that day dictates my gear. sometimes im in a tee and some chucks...other times u might catch me in full Dave Ruffin attire in a suit and loafers.
  
What is coming up next that we can look forward to?

Im going to be releases a lot of new music via twitter...im also working on a video that is dropping in a couple weeks..be on the look out for that
  
How do you stay original and true to yourself, when everyone seems to be doing the trend or the most popular thing?

I do whatever feels right to me...thats all you have to do to stay original...there is only one u..so the minute u try to be like someone else when you start to fight a losing battle.

0 COMMENT NOW OK!: