Jun 12, 2013

READ: Next In Show Presents an Interview with Just Pro @IamJustPro + Rollerskates Live Performance produced by THC


It's summertime and you know Next In Show knows how to start it off right? It's a rhetorical question. Of course we do. To prove it we have a brand new interview with a Los Angeles local and untapped artist, Just Pro. Neither a rapper nor a phony. Before Hip Hop was spoken word for Pro and he has always lead a following and never the other way around. I caught up with Just Pro at Expo Studios in Los Angeles, where we got to talk about his life before music, his influences and an upcoming project that will have his name buzzing called The Pursuit. Read below.




INTERVIEW WITH JUST PRO


Your upcoming project is called The Pursuit releasing July 1st. When did your 'pursuit' in music start?

I would say my 'pursuit' in music started when I began doing spoken word right after high school. At that time I was going out to New York and doing a bunch of performances out there, like highlighting at the Apollo, opening for Brave New Voices. Also performed other places like San Francisco and Texas. But actual music, maybe 3 or 4 years ago. I went through a transformation phase where I found myself and everything and then found Expo and that's what has turned it into a real Pursuit.

What Is Expo Music?

Expo Music is the studio where the movement originated at, located off of Exposition in Los Angeles. Great West Coast producers, such as Fisticuffs, THC and Rallo got their start at Expo Studios.

Growing up what music was played in your household?

All Oldies. I wasn't even allowed to listen to Tupac and all of that back then. Like I would listen to it on the low, but I had to be careful. Anything from The Beatles or Led Zeppelin to Sam Cooke and Aretha Franklin.

Fast forward to today and what can we find you listening to on your iPod?

I'm mainly on the new shit like TDE (Kendrick Ab Soul SchoolBoy Q Jay Rock), we were just talking about Danny Brown, he's dope, ASAP Rocky, Drake and Big Sean. A lot of commercial rappers at this time, other than myself.

What are your thoughts on the current state of Hip Hop?

I think it is in the right direction and evolving. A lot of people seem to be stuck to the past like "90s this and 90s that". The 90s were dope during that time and its situation because that was defined at that time at that moment and now this is our generations time to define ourselves. I'm excited. The sounds are evolving.

You said earlier that you were a spoken word artist before the music. Explain that period in your life?

When I was 16, I went to this Slam Poetry competition and I had never seen one before. It was people my age battling back and forth. When your battling you have to find the best possible poem that will affect that particular crowd of that night and then you have a panel judging it. I told the director I wanted to be apart of this. He had me try out at preliminaries and it just so happens that I wrote a song called if I ruled the world. By the end of the first poem I ever wrote and performed live to get on this team, everyone was dead silent. I had no idea, but they were actually doing that audition for a competition called If I Ruled The World. I went on to performing in many more Slam Poet Comps and was named one of the best Young Adult Spoken Word artists in LA.

When did you make the transition to Hip Hop?

One difficulty I started finding was I was actually good at rapping. Not great yet, but good. I was good at rapping and great at poetry. I ended up not getting the respect for the rapping that I would have liked, so I decided to back off the poetry for the time being. I needed to establish myself in this rap game because that was more true to my heart. Spoken word will always be a part of me.

Lets talk about your project that you are about to release on 7.1.13 called The Pursuit. Are you calling this a mixtape or an album?

An album. It's easy to call a project a mixtape and to buy in the hype of record sales or plays, but it took years to produce, all the tracks on it are original and a work of art.

What kind of sounds were you looking for and what producers fit that description?

I was really into energy while recording The Pursuit.I got to this point where I evolved to where I know exactly how to convey my energy in life onto a record. I love hi hats and 808's, but being able to mix it with strings and synths is meaningful to me. I needed producers who could bring a certain kind of energy to a record. MiC WEST is my bro and we have emaculate chemistry with the music. JQ a good bro of mine makes special beats so I had to put him on here. Zaire Koalo who works with artists like T.I. and B.O.B has records on there. There is also a record called Roller Skates produced by THC that I put on there. Those guys are progressive in the music game right now. A few other producers are on there, but in all the universe brought all of them together for me and this project.

What are you doing to make sure the world hears The Pursuit?

That's a real hard question with a lot of shit involved in that, but to keep it simple just a lot of promo, a lot of putting in work and putting my money where my mouth is. Don't talk about it, Do It. A lot of shows so people can recognize the artist I am. I have a street team and possibly a mini tour. The internet will be one of my best friends.

Are you concerned with getting a deal right now?

I'm not worried about getting a deal right now. Maybe a writing deal and more worried about networking at this time.

To leave on a positive note, what keeps you motivated?

Simple. It's life. As long as I got breath to go forward and have important people around me I will stay motivated.

0 COMMENT NOW OK!: