May 13, 2013

REVIEW: The Great Gatsby Movie + Soundtrack #thegreatgatsby


Having slept through my english class all semester in high school, I can honestly say this past weekend was my first time ever really hearing of the classic american novel The Great Gatsby. I have not read the book yet, but was able to see the newly renovated movie The Great Gatsby in theaters this past weekend. I went in with no expectations and came out entertained and inspired to write this review. I do plan on seeing the original masterpiece film written by F. Scott Fitzgerald soon. Everything was almost perfect about The Great Gatsby movie in my eyes, almost too perfect. Thanks to a massive CGI budget this movie was able to seem perfect in every way. The rich color and resonating scenic portraits were amazing. Baz Luhrmann  who was also known for the burlesque remake of Moulin Rouge as well as the righteous rendition of Romeo & Juliet also starring Leonardo Dicaprio, directed and produced. His visions were both dark and intriguing for the duration of the film. Tobey Maguire redeemed himself as an actor with his role as Nick Carraway. Leonardo Dicaprio stole the show as his perfectly performed character Jay Gatsby. Carey Mulligan (Daisy Buchanan) and Joel Edgerton (Tom) both had standout performances as well. 
The story isn't what drew me in and caught my attention. It was the Jay Z executive produced soundtrack on Interscope Records that consumed me. Jay Z made another power move with this one, acting as a behind the scenes figure when in reality he the one getting the most buzz from The Great Gatsby. I have to admit, there are times during the movie where the music felt forced and meant for marketing purposes only. An example would be a classy 20's remake of Beyonce's Crazy In Love. Although it does have that classic vibe, it was a wrong choice through my ears. No Church In The Wild got it's five minutes of fame during the movie, but also seemed like another commercial use only song. As for the rest of the album, I have not stopped listening to it. Jay Z did a good job of compiling the right artists and records for this Original Soundtrack. Songs that really stand out to me from The Great Gatsby Soundtrack are; Florence + The Machine "Over The Love (Of You)", Nero "Into The Past", The xx "Together" and what seems to be the theme song by Lana Del Rey "Young and Beautiful." These songs are perfectly scored and executed during The Great Gatsby. Gotye Heart's A Mess has multiple plays in my iTunes as well. $100 Bill performed by Jay Z himself bangs, but don't his song usually almost everytime bang hard? Go see the movie, then go see it again, but first listen to The Great Gatsby Original Soundtrack.

0 COMMENT NOW OK!: