Apr 10, 2013

Next In Show Interview: Artist/Director Tyree Dillihay @Sneadsbyree


Art comes in many different forms. Music is one graphic art is definitely another. In this digital age creativity is key and that is exactly what Tyree Dillihay is composed of. Tyree aka Ree aka @SneadsByRee is one very talented artist/designer with a very bright future. From creating his very own comic strip called SNEAD'S dedicated to the sneaker culture, to directing a few episodes of the Fox Network Primetime cartoon Bob's Burgers, this guy is progressing and hasn't even peaked yet. Check out the exclusive interview we had with Tyree Dillihay last month during his live sketch performance at a Sneaker Pimps event (Battle Royale).


Next In Show Presents An Interview With 
Tyree Dillihay @SneadsbyRee


From the very beginning, how did you get involved in art and drawing?

I've been drawing since I was three and it began in the church the same way a singer would begin in the choir. The preacher discovered me because he would always be saying how Jesus died on the cross and that was my first drawing. I had drawn the picture on the envelope and my grandmother saw it and was like "yo,you were listening". She didn't actually say no, but yeah that is how it started.

So from there your talent progressed and you moved forward. Did you go to any trade school to improve your skills?

I went to vocational type schools with more private instruction, but I have an english degree. I took animation electives, but ultimately I wanted to be a lawyer. It was then that I just fell in love with art. I was actually out of love for a second. Won't go into detail, but what brought me back was when I transferred to Cal State Northridge from junior college and had those art electives.

How did you turn that passion into a career?

Blood, Sweat and Dedication. It sounds so cliche, but it is the realest shit ever. Getting what you want is not a reactive occurrence, it's done by shear will and determination.

You have a comic strip and brand out called SNEADS. Where did that idea come from?

Pronounced (Snayds), I am a commercial artist and essentially I get paid to make other peoples dreams come true. After a while you eventually want to make something for yourself. So when I was trying to figure out what I wanted for myself, I wasn't trying to sell a tv show to anybody, at least not with this. I just wanted something that I could just have fun with. What are my passions? Basketball, hip hop, good art and thick women. I took a couple of those. Where sneakers basically fits in is with hip hop. It's just an extension of being fresh and how can I express that with my art at the same time.

The comic has much potential to be a worldwide webisode or national cartoon.

You are currently working with the Fox television cartoon Bob's Burgers and on numerous occasions you have even got to direct episodes. Is that the first cartoon you have directed?

This would be the second cartoon on national television, where I have got the opportunity to direct. I'm an animation veteran, been in the industry for over a decade. The first cartoon I directed was called Allen Gregory created by Jonah Hill, which was kinda here and then it wasn't here. I did two episodes of that. I am in production on my fifth episode of Bob's Burgers. Two have aired so far, so now I'm just waiting for more.

And how do you feel about that?

It's dope. Primetime cartoons is a slightly bigger stage. Each of my episodes that have come on they've averaged on 3 million viewers. I have been involved with cartoons that have blown up. This cartoon I did for BET called Read A Book. That did its thing. I have done campaigns for Capri-Sun, Disrespectoids, like viral cartoons is something I'm just used to doing.

How are you using that to tie in with social media?

Social media is all about getting the word out and what I mean by getting the word out is just getting people to talk about it, be social about it. But the key is make the content remarkable. Remarkable is something you want to talk about you want to aka make a remark about. The shit that I make is for people to respond to and I'm talking to a specific culture of people. They get these jokes, it's not for the rest of the world in regards to my SNEADs comic. So the smaller group of people appreciate what I do because of that. It's for us by us, it's literally on some FUBU shit. Granted we don't rock no FUBU now, but back in the day that concept meant something. Big ups to Damon Johns and the rest of the FUBU click for actually making a dope concept, not just dope shoes or apparel. It actually means something.

What inspires you?

Life in general. Good artists should look at life as something to get inspired by. I'm not a hurmet, well actually I am because work a lot, but when I'm not working I'm studying and just looking around at the world. That is where these jokes come from. I don't have to make up jokes. Life and the culture does that for me. All I do is take notes.

Sneakers are a big part of a lot of your art. What is your top sneaker that you own?

The Air Jordan 3 'Black Cements'. Any of the OG colorway 3's. I'm all about those.

Do you get involved in the sneaker politics?

No. If I like something I'm buying it. It could be the ugliest release to the hottest thing out, But things come and go. For example the 'South Beach' Lebron colorway. They murdered that colorway. Still trying to murder it. It will be back in the summer I'm sure. No disrespect to the South Beach colorway, but that shit is played out. I can't imagine rocking my OG South Beach Lebrons anymore.

What music are you listening to right now?

Whatever is on. Nothing in particular.

Do you listen to the radio?

No no. Stay away from the radio.

What about something like Pandora Radio?

Sometimes. Nobody particular, just usually customize the genre.

You are a veteran in your industry and with your craft. Is there anything that you feel you haven't accomplished?

I want to make my own animated movie.

Do you have any concepts for that?

...................Yes

To leave on a positive note, how do you keep striving for greatness?

Not settling. I come from a family of entrepreneurs. My mother worked for herself and my grandfather worked for himself. So the whole thing I learned from them was, 'Go Get It'. Like whatever it is be the best. I didn't play many sports so this is my form of athletics. I want to be the best. Not to play the race card, but    when it comes to animation you can count the number of primetime black directors on one hand. That's an accomplishment. I take pride in that. That didn't exist when I was a kid. What did exist was Spike Lee. I saw Spike Lee doing his thing and was like, yo that's me.

Appreciate your time Tyree Dillihay. You are Next In Show.

0 COMMENT NOW OK!: