Apr 25, 2013

#Brokechella Review + Interviews With Nold x Korova x yOya



Southern California's biggest and now most commercial music & arts festival Coachella just passed. For those who couldn't make it down to Indio or afford the pricey $350+ passes, there was another newly discovered festival. Brokechella means what it says. The event caters to a much smaller scale and more inexpensive Coachella, but for only one day. Brokechella provided 3 stages with over 30 bands and artists with many extra activities. Lot's to do in such little time. I had the opportunity to interview some of the performers including NOLD, Korova and yOya. Next year is sure to outdo this year’s Brokechella.

Exclusive Interviews

NOLD

What does NOLD stand for?

I got it as a nickname at the beginning of high school. My name is Arnold so my buddies started calling me NOLD. Then I started dj'ing when I got to school and it was kind of a logical progression to kind of go with that name. I'm stuck with it now.

You were born in Russia, but have since moved out here to California.

So my family is from Germany, but my mom was going to school in Russia when I was born. Stayed there for about 6 months and eventually moved back to Germany. I then moved to LA when I was 6. I definitely still go back home though.

What is the music scene like in Germany compared to Hollywood?
It's a lot different. I still love drawing influence from my original roots. I lived in Berlin my freshman year of high school. It was crazy picking up all sorts of different techno music and going into different clubs. I won't necessarily play these types of records, but I take that little bit of inspiration from it.

Who are your influences?

Real early I was listening to Arman Van Helden. I also listened to the real ghetto shit as well as being a 'House Head'. I was really into House music. My cousins were all older than me so they would take me out to clubs and introduced me to the music. I started getting into 128-130 House music in Europe, which was kind of the beginning of my musical process.

How do you keep a crowd entertained?

Now a day’s people usually go to a club to see 1 particular artist or their friend told them to go. I grew up listening to the radio and Top 40's hits, so I kind of blend in the new stuff that I listen to with the older hits from back in the day that people will recognize. I get on the mic a lot; I'm trying to limit that down. Being in a club and being a dj is about being a part of the party not the center of the party.

How are you preparing for your performance here at Brokechella?

Usually before I go on stage I will maybe thirty minutes before look over songs on my computer and just kind of make sure I'm comfortable with the things I'm playing. A lot of times I will feel out the dj's that play before me. I'm always changing and adding songs depending on the other dj sets. I usually try to keep it real mellow. It's crazy people start partying around you, but I don't know, maybe I'll talk to my girlfriend 5 minutes before showtime. I like silence.

What can fans look forward from you coming up this year?

I'm getting ready to put out my first EP this summer. I have been dj'ing and performing for a while. Ever since joining Shifty Rhythms I've kind of taken the production side a little more serious. More shows in the LA area and more Shifty Rhythms parties

Korova

What is Korova significant to?

It's what I have always released music under starting like 3 years ago. It's a name I have grown up with. I chose it from Clockwork Orange the movie. My brothers showed me it at a really young age. I was born in raised in Utah, so I'm from a really strange background compared to most LA kids.

When did you make your way to Los Angeles?

4 years ago. I was a junior in high school. Family, location and school were the main reason.

Have you always been into music?

Yeah definitely. I was in band and as I grew older I started making hip hop beats for my brother. I've been making music for like twelve years, but seriously as Korova for 3. I also make music with an indie band called Breakfast and we just played SXSW. I work for Teamwork too, the management company for Diplo and ATrak. So it's a good balance of life at this point.

Shifty Rhythms is a collective your apart of?

Yeah. It's about events and curating artists and people doing music. Neo Fresco, the commander in chief brought me on. He's kind of like my big brother.

You have been referred to as an electronic dance scientist. What are the main ingredients used to make a masterpiece mix?

Wow. That's very poetic...You just have to have a story to tell ultimately. There's no point to make music unless there is a purpose. Life experiences, memories, nostalgia, anything that makes you listen to it that is redeemable. I like shit that is more meaningful. I don't know about an electronic dance scientist.

How do you get prepared for a show like today, Brokechella?

Well I haven't touched dj decks for like 2 months so I was a little unfamiliar with the DJM800, but I have been practicing with Shakewell who is a rapper. I'm helping produce his album for the past 2 years now. DJ'ing is easy. It's easy to go on stage and play music you like. That's the easy part.  I'm focusing more on producing.

Fill in the blank. Today's word of the day is?

Hilary Swank. You should praise her and love her. Everything that we do is for Hillary and she is the one that blessed us. Andrew is the intergalactic Swank God. I haven't got my position yet, but its coming.

yOya


How has your day been going today?

It's good. We've actually played at Brokechella 3 times, since it's started. It's cool to see the turnout. Way bigger than it was last year.

Your music is classified as folktronic. Where did that genre come from? How was it created?

There are other bands that consider themselves folktronic, but we don't sound like them. So maybe we shouldn't use that word. Maybe that’s their word. It just makes sense because we were playing folk music with a drummer, but that didn't work out. We then used electronic drums so it kind of found its own sound.

In your opinions what makes a great performance?

I feel good about a performance when there is some energy moving back and forth with us and the crowd. You get that feedback to hype each other up. People have also come up to us saying it was a great performance, but we might have felt differently. So it depends a lot of how you feel personally.

Who are you looking forward to seeing tonight?

We're looking forward to seeing Manhattan Murder Mystery. Our friends Body Parts are playing and completely different are Planet Booty. They do this super duper dance set too. It's kind of like MC Hammer meets James Brown.

How are you preparing for tonight's performance?

We usually rehearse before the show, even the entire week before. Sometimes we're too busy to rehearse until day of, like today. Back in the day we used to listen to pre show music like Let Down by Radiohead.
What are your plans for this summer?

We are putting out new music. Our debut album came out in 2010, so we're excited to show people our new stuff. We have been working on this EP a long time and it's going to come out in July. We will be releasing a new single May 7th at the Satellite. Then we go on a weeklong tour up the West Coast and more serious touring when the EP drops.

#Brokechella was a success. See you next year.

0 COMMENT NOW OK!: