Dec 19, 2012

Next In Show Presents An Exclusive Interview With Tomas Barfod [READ]


Electronic and Instrumental melodies have come strong this year. The Los Angeles music scene seems to have embraced its massive underground electro-trap-dub movement with open arms. Tomas Barfod is a musician who just happens to create dark easy listening music. Being a part of the Friends of Friends family and record label, Tomas is among the next generation of djs in music and production. Next In Show linked up with Tomas Barfod to talk about his latest project The November Skies Remix EP, as well as how he started his music career and more.





Next In Show Presents An Interview With Tomas Barfod

What does music mean to you?
Pretty much everything, I have been playing drums since I was 10 and living from making music the last 10 years, so music has always been a big part of my life for almost forever. 

Where did you grow up?
I grew up in a little fishing town south of Copenhagen, usually not a particular musical place, but my generation pick up the music, so when I lived there was plenty of stuff going. From school class alone we are two that are doing music professionally now.

How did you get involved in live instrumental music?
Since I was 10, my farther bought at drum kit for me for Xmas, and since then I have been playing. At some point that turned into playing concert with bands - and earning a bit money on the side in high school. 

When did you transition from playing the drums to electronic sounds?
When I was around 20 I started getting interested in electronic music, like drum n bass and trance, that later became house and techno, at some point I just said fuck I wanna be a dj and producer, and a couple of years after I started playing and producing. 


If you had to choose 3 albums to listen to for the rest of your life, what would they be?

That's a tough one. Michael Meyers fabric mix 13, air: noon safari, Michael Jackson: thriller

How did you make your decision to sign with the newly founded Friends Of Friends Music Label?
It was kind of randomly...leeor the founder wrote me a message over MySpace back when it was still kind active. Since then we have been in contact, but when I decided to move to LA for a while it made sense to work closer with them. I'm so happy it happened because its one of the best labels I have been working with. So dedicated to the music. 

What do you think of your labelmates Shlohmo and Groundislavas WeDiDItCollective movement?
I think it's awesome, I like when producers work together and support each other. Same thing that's good about FOF, everybody is remixing and helping each other.

Salton Sea is your latest project. Explain the concept behind the California landmark title?
I have been tripping over abandoned places for a while, saving pictures from empty offices of Detroit, shut down  amusement parks and hotels from al over the world. So It made sense to go to Salton sea for inspiration for the album.

Just recently you released a remix project to November Skies. How did you bring together all of those upcoming DJs and producers for the EP?
Some are not upcoming others are pretty unknown, but I'm excited over how good all remixes are. All of them turned it into something unique. Some of them was approached by my label, but a lot where people who I really respected and wanted to work with.


How has your music changed from your first album ever recorded, to present day?
A lot. My first album was a an underground house project that got signed to a major label. And 6 months after we founded it, we suddenly hat this big system behind us, so we started to make vocal house, and made a few hits Europe. So even tho I still use vocals on my tracks, I have come a long way since then. 


Do you have any major new years resolutions that you would like to try and accomplish?
I always have big plans for the future.


What keeps you moving forward towards your dreams?

I have had this drive since I started to make music, I think I comes from loving my job so much, and it means that I work really hard on my goal, which is to be happy and to make a difference as a musician. In general that have meant that I have been living well from my hobby the last many years.





0 COMMENT NOW OK!: