Feb 29, 2012

Next In Show x Cocoa Sarai Exclusive Interview


There's a new girl in town and by the sounds of her new album, The Black & White, Cocoa Sarai won't be forgotten anytime soon. Miss Cocoa has a Bed Stuy attitude and the beauty of a goddess. Check out our exclusive interview with the pop diva, Cocoa Sarai.





Next In Show Presents Cocoa Sarai

Your name Cocoa Sarai is so unique. Where did it come from?
Well my mom called me Chocolate all my life because of my skin; in my old neighborhood in Bed Stuy my friends still call me that. My middle name is Sarai we just put it together and you have Cocoa Sarai.
Is Brooklyn really it’s own country?

Of course, Brooklyn in its self is a very diverse and special place. It has an atmosphere. A heart beat. It's home! I definitely acquired the edginess in my music and personality from being raised in this country of Brooklyn lol...
You just released your new project, The Black & White on Catapult Records. What inspired this album?
But the album is available on iTunes. This album was definitely inspired by life, transitions, self-realizations and colors. Almost everything can be interpreted that way. My mother passed away in November from lung cancer. Ironically my single "Raining In My Room” dropped the same week. I recorded most of the album in 3 months. When I did my first album Half Past Seven I was definitely a girl still figuring out exactly what kind of person I was going to be, after your mother passes you put a lot of things onto perspective. You figure out what's most important when you’re watching someone deteriorate and you can't do anything about it. The term "The Black & White" took on a new meaning by the time the album was released. This is whom I am, vulnerable, loving, hurting, and laughing strong. The music adds color to this Black and White picture... There are stories on there that everybody can relate to...

What producers did you work with?
Well * Rick Hertz * who is my partner mixed and mastered the project, he executive produced this album and my last album along with myself. He also produced 3 songs on it "The Intro, Delete You & Anything ft. Fred Da Godson” Then there was * Jordan Ware * who is a master violinist and amazing producer. He produced 3 songs as well "Criminal, Colours (interlude) and Memories 4 Suckers”. Singer/Rapper/Songwriter/Producer *Rich Lowe* produced 3 songs as well "Love Feels Like, Black & Blue, 1 Second 2 Love" which he sang on and took part in writing. Last but not least * Jayd * who produced "Raining In My Room" and *Ant B.808 * who produced "LIVE” I wrote every song by myself except two that Rich Lowe and I wrote together. I'm blessed and honored to have worked with such amazingly talented people. They were all just as invested as I am in this project and the coolest set of people ever.

All of the tracks on the albums fit perfect together. At the moment I am playing Delete You on repeat. I can’t help but to get my groove on. Can you talk about the evolution of the song?
Well I came up with the idea for it 2 years ago, I was fresh out of a relationship but we were still fooling around. The guy started to post pictures of him and other women as his profile pic on Facebook. Now I assure you I am far from a stalker but anything he did would pop up on my news feed. My mom saw it one day and asked me "Who this chick?" Then I told her him and I had broken up which meant nothing to her because he was still coming by the house...lol. I wanted to delete him but my pride wouldn't let me and apart of me wanted to know what he was doing.... That’s where the title came from. Fast forward to a year and a half later, Rick Hertz reminds me of the record, he played the beat and I finished the song... I know that people relate to that one.... Uggghhh it was definitely coming from an honest place.

For your next project, if you could have one only one feature, who would it be and why?
It would be Kanye West, he's extremely creative and I believe we would make amazing music.... Yup that's who it would be. There are more but you said name one :-(

What music are you currently playing in heavy rotation?

Frank Ocean
 
Jhene Aiko
Queen
Rockie Evans
 
Stevie Wonder

How did it feel to be featured in the New York Times?
It was awesome, gaining any type of notoriety in your hometown solidifies that I'm reaching people. I want to reach the world but having my city means that I'm off to a good start. I would love to jump into the music scene in LA and work with some of the artist there. :- )

You recently performed at the Mama Im’a Make It Showcase. How was it?
It was cool; the power of people is awesome. I was set to go last and the club had another party coming in after the show. So because the show ran over by the time I was scheduled to perform, the soundman cut my Mic. The crowd got upset and I started to sing "Raining In My Room" which is a crowd favorite, my beat boxer and drummer came in and the audience swayed, snapped and sang along. That moment of togetherness where angry faces turned into smiles was amazing....

What is coming up next for you?
The Black & White is officially out now!!! And BET Music Matters on March 13th, which I'm extremely excited about. I have a 6-piece band so this is going to be epic :-) A few music videos; the visuals from this project have to be mind blowing. Traveling the world and performing

Do you believe that everything happens for a reason?
Yes, whole-heartedly...good and bad

What is the most important lesson you have learned, since involved in the music industry?
That this is most definitely a business before anything else, that creativity does not come from us, it flows through us and that the moment I was comfortable being myself, everyone else loved me....

Thanks for your time Cocoa. Your #nextinshow


Thank you so much for having me and finding me interesting enough to consider interviewing. I enjoyed answering the questions :-) 

PS. please excuse any typos as I answering from my cell phone...
Cocoa

#swag #spellcheck’d



0 COMMENT NOW OK!: