Feb 22, 2012

Next In Show Presents An Interview With: Dom O Briggs


Dom O Briggs is an artist, herbalist with a brooklyn state of mind. He is bringing his show to the big leagues with his newest visual, 20 Years, off A Gemini's Tale. Check out our exclusive interview with the artist where he talks about inspirations, the sounds of music and dream collabos. It gets real.





Dom O Briggs Interview

You represent Brooklyn, but have you lived there your whole life?

Nah. I was born in Baltimore, Maryland. Left at age 3 and moved to Brooklyn. I used to live in South Jersey too. Bout 30 minutes from Philly. I been in Brooklyn for most of my life though.

Growing up, what music did you listen to?

I listened to a lot Gospel. I was raised in church. Other than that, I listened to whatever my mother, father or the radio played. I went to sleep listening to the radio. My mother listened to Mary J, Faith, Lauryn Hill, D'Angelo, Erykah Badu...things of that nature. My pops listened to Biggie, Tupac, New Edition, Big Pun, Big L, early Bad Boy stuff, etc.. Then, Musiq Soulchild became my favorite artist. He still is. I got the best of both worlds though.

You’re a unique rapper with a lot of talent. Does being creative run in your family?
                                                                                                                                       
Thanks. I appreciate that. My mother and aunt were in the choir, I have uncles and cousin who are drummers, pianist and singers.

Who in your opinion are the leaders of the new school at the moment?

I feel that the leaders of the new school is everyone that is on their grind right. Who ever is in the studio, or writing or at a show or doing anything art related right now.

You just participated in an event called the Start It Up Benefit Concert. Explain your involvement?

Haha. Crazy thing is, I missed it. I had to handle some family business. I performed at the first one though. Samantha Alexandra. She is a talented singer and a person with a vision I believe in. She is the reason I am apart of it.

You consider yourself an herbalist. How are the herbs on the east coast?

Indeed I am. The botany department in New York is pretty good. Nothing like Cali grown though.

Have you smoked California Kush?

Yes I have. Its amazing. The dro too. I need to get back out there! Hahaha

Why did you choose DopeNDoper from your upcoming EP as your first single?

It was just a spur of the moment thing. It was one of the only songs I had recorded for the project at the time. I wanted to drop something to let people know I was working.

Always Inspire(d) EP is coming March 25, 2012. The title is perfect. Where did it come from?

Its one of my tattoo. I got the tattoo and thought that it would be a good title for my next project.

Is it a concept EP?

Its just a way of lie. Its the way I live. Everything is inspiration. EVERYTHING. In your actions, in other peoples actions, In things you say, In things other people say...all of it. Me being an artist, everything inspires me. I have a double role as an artists and a fan though. Other peoples art inspires me and I inspire people with my art. That's just how life goes.

Do you think your debut project, The Sounds Of Music, got the recognition it deserved?

I think it was what it was. I was still getting my feet wet with recording and "finding my voice" so to speak. Plus, I was still fairly new to the music scene or whatever so I didn't trip.

If you could work with anybody right now, who would it be?

Mint Condition and Terrace Martin. That would be the sickest collab.

Last May you released A Gemini’s Tale. Can we expect anything more from that project?

Nothing too fancy. A couple videos. Video for Suppose To, Gemini Swag, Urkel Musik and whatever else we shoot.  I just go with the flow.

Next month I hear you will be playing a show with buzzworthy artist, Emilio Rojas. Did you collaborate on a track?

Nah, I haven't got the chance to work with him. I met him at DealWithNoDeal (radio show) but that was that. I respect him and his music though.

Name someone of something that has influenced you your whole life?

 Music. It was the only thing that couldn't go wrong.


Thanks for your time Dom O.  You are next in show. Success is inevitable.

Thank You. I appreciate this opportunity. 

0 COMMENT NOW OK!: